Heading Down Under
A few weeks ago, Lara came home to tell me she had just gotten a consulting job in Canberra, Australia. I have learned not to react to such comments until I have more details.
The original plan was for her to fly to Australia for 2 weeks, return to the US for 2 weeks, and then fly back to Australia for 1 week. It wasn't hard for me to envision the wear and tear on my wife with that kind of travel schedule.
I have always said that I can do my job anywhere in the world as long as I have a high speed internet connection. This was a golden opportunity to test that theory!
I asked her if it wouldn't make more sense for her to just go and stay for 4 weeks and do the job all at once rather than spending thousands of dollars and many days traveling back and forth. She immediately fell into my trap by asking if I would be ok with her being gone that long. With my best poker face, I replied "Who says I'm staying here?"
And that's how we ended up scheduling a month in Australia!
The original plan was for her to fly to Australia for 2 weeks, return to the US for 2 weeks, and then fly back to Australia for 1 week. It wasn't hard for me to envision the wear and tear on my wife with that kind of travel schedule.
I have always said that I can do my job anywhere in the world as long as I have a high speed internet connection. This was a golden opportunity to test that theory!
I asked her if it wouldn't make more sense for her to just go and stay for 4 weeks and do the job all at once rather than spending thousands of dollars and many days traveling back and forth. She immediately fell into my trap by asking if I would be ok with her being gone that long. With my best poker face, I replied "Who says I'm staying here?"
And that's how we ended up scheduling a month in Australia!

4 Comments:
I agree with MJ...Christmas in Australia sounds like another fun adventure! But I guess we'll just have to be content with living vicariously through our parents...isn't it supposed to be the other way around???
Looking forward to hearing about your diving trips and the interesting people you always happen to meet. We'll miss you at poker but will try to keep things light... perhaps play 'pass the crappy card' in honor of Lara and 'Road kill' in honor of Jim? Enjoy it for the rest of blokes stuck in sunny, and I must say now absolutely gorgeous temperatures, Arizona.
Scott & Heidi
after seeing all these pics...are we going to get you guys back in Scottsdale?! :)
Oh...thought you guys might want to know - Lisa D. mom passed away yesterday. The funeral is Friday in California.
Post a Comment
<< Home